Happy Tuesday! Todays recipe is a staple in my parents home year round. I actually breezed through this recipe last year but figured it wouldn’t hurt to dedicate a post to this amazing recipe. When most people hear cornbread I notice they get a little intimidated but I’m here to tell you that its definitely not as intimidating as it may seem. I think its pretty easy and if you follow my steps you should be just fine.
As I said earlier this recipe is super easy so there’s no need to separate wet and dry when making this cornbread you can just throw all the ingredients in the bowl. Add corn meal, egg, buttermilk, water, grease, and salt to a bowl and mix well.
This recipe requires fat/oil as the last ingredient. I chose to cook bacon and add the grease to the batter before adding it to the oven. You could also use vegetable oil (about 2-3 tbsp).
Bake at 350 for about 30-35 minutes. Once the bread is completely cooked through set it aside and allow it to cool.
Now you can start prepping the rest of your ingredients for the dressing. Chopped celery, onion, and bell pepper. All sautéed with butter, olive oil, and garlic.
Chop your bacon from earlier, add a little cream of chicken condensed soup, and various spices.
At this point you can start to break apart the cornbread and add it to the rest of the ingredients.
Mix the ingredients until well combined and add an egg. Mix well again and add the dressing to a greased baking pan. Bake the dressing at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 50-55 minutes. Once the dressing is done remove it from the oven and serve immediately…it also wouldn’t hurt to let the dressing cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- 1 3/4 cups Corn meal
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Eggs
- Reserved Bacon Grease
- Crumbled Cornbread
- 1/2 cup Celery
- 1/4 bell Pepper
- 1/2 cup Onion
- 1 tbsp Butter for sautéing
- 3/4 cup Cream of Chicken
- 2 1/4 cup Chicken Stock
- 1-2 tsp Sage
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fareneheit.
- Cook bacon in a frying pan until done. Reserve bacon grease.
- In a large bowl mix corn meal, egg, milk, water, and salt & pepper until well combined.
- Add reserved bacon grease and mix well; add batter to a square metal pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until done or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clear.
- Next chop celery, onion, and bell pepper; add to the same frying pan as the bacon along with 1 tbsp of butter. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Once cornbread is completely cooked; allow to cool before breaking in to crumbles. Add crumbles to a large bowl with cream of chicken, veggies, bacon, broth, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Taste to make sure the dressing is seasoned to your liking. Once satisfied as one egg and mix well. Allow mixture to sit for about 15 minutes before adding it to the oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the dressing is set in the middle.