Today is National Margarita Day and I wanted to make a margarita that stood out! Nothing stands out more than a Unicorn. I actually googled “unicorn margarita” and nothing came up so I created my own! I worked super hard on this one and today I’m proud to present my Magical Unicorn Margarita on the rocks of course 😉 This drink is super fruity but still holds that classic lime margarita taste. It lights up your tastebuds and takes you on a magical ride down margarita lane. And the best part is it’s super easy to make.
First you want to rim your glass with sugar but not just any sugar….magical sugar lol. It’s not really magical just colorful. I used a few drops of food coloring and a lot of mixing to achieve this look. If the sugar is still wet add more until you get a better consistency. To rim my glass I used honey because it super thick but you could also use Karo Syrup. After applying the honey or syrup dip the glass into the sugar; you may even want to press the sides of the glass into it also.
Next you want to get your garnish ready. I found these super cute unicorn lollipops on Amazon here. You may also be able to find some at your local party city. The goal is to have the unicorn sitting on top of the cloud so I used cotton candy and a lime to achieve this look. Just pierce the cotton candy and the lime with the end of the lollipop.
Ok so lets make this margarita! We need to make the margarita. So its basically a classic margarita with some added flavor. You need limes, simple syrup, Grand Marnier (0range liquor), and tequila! I prefer silver. The simply syrup is super easy to make you just add equal parts water and sugar to a sauce pan and boil until the sugar dissolves.
So theres no crazy trick to the layering either….all you have to do is separate the drink into two parts (1/4 and 3/4) Add 3/4 ounce of Blue Curaçao to the 1/4 of the drink and 1 ounce of Watermelon Liqueur to the 3/4 of the drink. Next pour the Watermelon mixture into a glass with tons of crushed iced. Now SLOWLY pour the Blue Curacao over the rest of the crushed iced. The two colors should immediately create a barrier and remain separated. Add you unicorn garnish and VOILA! Your Magical Unicorn Margarita is done…Drink it and let the magic run through you 🙂
- 2 oz Tequila
- 1 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz Simple Syrup
- 1/2 oz Grand Marnier (or Triple Sec)
- 1 oz Watermelon Liqueur
- 3/4 oz Blue Curaçao Liqueur
- Food Coloring
- Honey or Karo Syrup for Rimming
- Add food coloring to sugar and mix until desired colors are met.
- Rim glass with honey or karo syrup and sugar.
- Prep unicorn garnish by piercing cotton candy and lime wedge with the end of the lollipop stick.
- Add lime juice, tequila, orange liqueur, simple syrup, and ice to a shaker and shake until chilled.
- Next separate liquid into two parts (1/4 and 3/4) Add 1 ounce of the watermelon liqueur to the 3/4 drink and 3/4 ounce of the blue curaçao liqueur to the 1/4 drink.
- Add ALOT of crushed iced to your rimmed glass and add the watermelon drink first; next SLOWLY pour the blue curaçao drink over the ice. The two colors should seperate on its own.
- Add your unicorn garnish and Enjoy!
What’s your favorite margarita? Let me know in the comments below! Also tag me on social media by using #margaritasontherocks if you decide to try this recipe!