I plan on celebrating my dads birthday this weekend with my family 🙂 I’m so happy to be celebrating another year with such an amazing dad! I’m sure we will visit a steakhouse for dinner because we are a meat eating family and steak dinners; specifically prime ribs, ribeye, and NY strips are our fav!
With such a heavy dinner I typically chose to eat light during the day. Today is the perfect day to show you guys my go to healthy snacks as well as share my super easy guide to trail mix! I LOVE trail mix its just enough sweetness, with protein, and goodness. The thing I like most about trail mix is you can totally customize it to your liking. It’s the perfect snack for everyone. As I’m sure you know by now I’ve been using this month to focus on healthier eating habits and fitness routines.
Now if you follow my blog regularly you know I love food and not the healthy kind lol. I love to eat the things I probably shouldn’t; so this year I’m going to try and create a healthy balance between the foods I love to eat and some healthier options.
1. Mimic Foods You Love to Eat I try and mimic things I would typically eat. So I love munching on the carrots and celery sticks restaurants provide whenever I order buffalo wings…well I decided to just go with the veggies and skip the wings. Using veggies is a great way to replace chip snacking. I also have a real obsession with pickles also good for dipping! I think they are sooooo good.
2. Find Healthy Alternatives I love dip! But since the calories can really add up I opt for healthier dipping options. In this case I’m going with a greek yogurt ranch dip and a guacamole & spicy pico dip. I also like to make my own guacamole but when I’m having a super busy week I love the convenience of being able to pick up products that are already prepared. Plus when it comes to weightloss I find it easier to stay on track when I prep my snacks and meals. I also like to dip cucumber slices and snack on pickles.
3. Eat Smaller Portions I also love cheese so I picked up these individually packed cheese blocks. Another thing I love to eat is string cheese. Sargento has this jalapeño string cheese that is absolutely amazing! I highly encourage you to run not walk to your local grocery store to purchase it.
4. Buy Pre-Cut Foods I like buying apples pre-sliced because it saves time and one thing you should know about me is that I can be pretty lazy on days when I’m not working so being able to grab fresh fruit is perfect. You can also prep small sandwich bags with fruit like clementines, grapes, strawberries, cherries, etc. It’s totally up to you. Just make sure it’s fruit or food you like and will actually enjoy eating.
5. Buy Ingredients You Can Add To Last but not least yogurt! I try an stay stocked up on yogurt because it’s easy to grab for a quick snack and can also go in my smoothies. You can also add granola to your yogurt and fruit to make a yogurt sundae….so good! Check out my Blackberry Mango or Strawberry-Banana & Kale smoothie recipes!
Now onto the trail mix! It’s seriously so easy I shouldn’t even make a post about it lol…but I’m sure someone will find it super useful. So you want to first decide on your nuts; for me I like to use almonds and walnuts. You can use peanuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. It’s up to you.
Next pick your dried fruit. I chose good ole’ fashioned raisins but you could opt for dried cherries, prunes, bananas, mangos. The choice is yours.
I add a little extra texture with some granola. And add some sweetness with M&M’s. You could add chocolate chips or peanut butter chips. Now give it a quick toss in a bowl and voila! Your trail mix is served! I store it in a ziplock bag for 1-2 weeks out on the counter or in the fridge.
- 1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 2 cup Granola
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Candy (candy shell)
- Add walnuts, almonds, raisins, granola, and candy to a bowl.
- Mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
What are your favorite healthy snacks? Let me know in the comments below! Also tag me on social media by using #margaritasontherocks if you decide to try this recipe!