Like any good pasta addict I’ve gained my share of weight; and for one reason or another I refuse to give up certain foods that make me happy. The thing about weight loss is that its more of a lifestyle change instead of a diet because diets fail all to often. Restricting myself from the things I love has never worked well for me. So why start now? exactly lol
This month on the blog we are featuring a “Slim & Trim” series that will showcase healthy recipes that will hopefully jumpstart your weight loss plan. I love chicken parmesan for all of its traditional buttery goodness….yes I said buttery…but with this recipe I wanted to still have my cake and eat it too so I decided to trim most of the fat from the original recipe and create a Skinny Chicken Parmesan By making a few minor tweaks such as whole wheat breadcrumbs, egg whites, and my trusty oven. I think I came up with something pretty delicious.
If you prefer visual directions feel free to check out the Skinny Chicken Parmesan video below! If you are not already subscribed to my channel please click here to subscribe now and make sure to sign up for our newsletter so you will never miss a post!
- ½ cup Whole wheat breadcrumbs (unseasoned)
- ¼ cup smaller amount of powdered parmesan
- 2 Egg whites
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning mix
- 2 whole chicken breast pounded sliced in half (makes 4 cutlets)
- ½ cup shredded low fat mozzarella
- ¾ cup marinara
- cooking spray
- Italian Seasoning Mix
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian season
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees farenheit and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, italian seasoning mix, salt & pepper in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- 3. Crack 2 egg whites in a bowl and whisk.
- 4. Prepare breading station with 2 bowls/plates; fill one bowl with the breadcrumb mixture, and one with the egg whites.
- 5. Slice chicken breast in half to have a total of 4 cutlets; pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6. At the breading station coat chicken cutlets in egg whites then transfer cutlets to breadcrumb mixture until fully coated.
- 7. Place coated chicken cutlets on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes; flip cutlets over and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- 8. Remove breaded cutlets from oven and add marina sauce to each cutlet. Top with cheese and place back in the oven until cheese melts.
- 9. Remove from oven; allow to cool.
- 10. Plate & Enjoy!