Saturday mornings scream brunch and mimosas in my house. Lately I’ve been in the mood to stay in and indulge with my loved ones. I decided that I should go ALL out and find a dish that was sure to please the crowd.
Between the mimosas and the baked french toast I was in love! Laura Vitale struck gold with this recipe! It is absolutely delicious and a must try for anyone looking to impress friends and family. I have included my version of the recipe below as well as links to the original recipe.
Baked French Toast Casserole Recipe
3/4 of a Loaf of French Bread Sliced about 1/4 inches thick
2 3/4 cup of 2% Milk
1/2 cup of Granulated Sugar
1/4 cup of Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp of Vanilla Extract
2 tsp of Ground Cinnamon
3 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar
2 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
1 tsp of Cinnamon
6 Tbsp of Cold Unsalted Butter
1/4 cup of Chopped Pecans
1. Spray casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Cut French Bread and place into the pan (make sure that each slice overlaps the other.
3. In a medium to large bowl mix eggs, milk, sugars, cinnamon, and vanilla extract until blended.
4. Pour the egg mixture onto the bread slices making sure to coat everything and cover with plastic wrap (I dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture before pouring it into the casserole dish).
5. Allow bread to sit in egg mixture overnight or for at least 3-4 hours in the refrigerator before placing it into the oven.
6. Once your bread has set you can begin preparing the topping. Mix sugars, flour, cinnamon, butter, and pecans in bowl until blended (be sure to mash the butter with a fork into the mixture if necessary).
7. Distribute the mixture on the surface of the dish and cover with aluminum foil; place the casserole dish in the oven.
8. Bake the casserole with aluminum foil for 30 minutes, and then uncovered for an additional 45 minutes or until golden brown.
I have had the pleasure of making this dish twice now and it was truly a crowd pleaser both times. I made a few modifications to the original recipe due to the ingredients I had on hand. Be sure to check out Laura Vitale’s version too!
–Crystal Channing 🍷